October 28, 2011

Mint Hot Chocolate


I'm sorry I seem to always be repeating myself. First with pumpkin and now with drinks.



I know you'll forgive me after you make this.



And I know your worrying about all that chocolate and cream...but you'll forgive me for that too.


Because there is nothing quite as good as chocolatey, minty, creaminess to chase away the almost winter blues.



Mint Hot Chocolate

  Hot Chocolate:
  • ¼ c. chocolate chips (I like to use dark)
  • 2 tbsp. heavy cream
  • 4 mint leaves
  • 8 oz. milk (I use skim)

  • Whip Cream:
  • ½ c. heavy cream
  • 3 tbsp. sugar
  • a dash of peppermint extract

  • Chocolate Covered Mint Leaves:
  • 2 squares of baking chocolate (milk or dark works)
  • Mint leaves (2 squares will cover about 15 leaves)

  • In a microwavable mug, pour in the chocolate. Next, finely chop the mint leaves and add those to the mug along with the cream and milk. Place in the microwave for 1 minute, on high. Stir, then microwave for another minute. Top with mint cream, and if you want to go all out, a chocolate covered mint leave.
  • To make the whip cream: Beat the cream and sugar until stiff peaks form. Fold in the mint extract and it’s ready.
  • To make the mint leaves: Melt the chocolate in a double boiler. Meanwhile line a baking sheet with wax paper. Pick the mint leaves you will want to use (I find the bigger ones to be easier to work with) and wash and dry them. Lay them on the wax paper. When the chocolate is melted, use a pastry brush to brush the chocolate onto each leaf. (A good way to help keep the leaves in place without having to touch them is to use a toothpick). When the leaves are all covered, place the tray in the fridge (or freezer for faster results) for at least an hour. Yield: serves 1
  • **An easy replacement for the whip cream, is to use 1/2 a cup of cool whip and stir in a splash of peppermint extract**

No comments:

Post a Comment